We already mentioned a few things that must be done in order to rank well, but tags, meta tags and title tags are all the things that describe what your website is about, so you need to use them wisely. The basic idea is to keep all of them relevant and to the point, we will make some examples later on about bad and good tags, but you should already know because this is still basic SEO.
If you are using a WordPress blog platform, then you should go to settings, permalinks and set your URL to display postname. If you are building an html site always use a keyword in the URL, but try to keep it relevant and short so that both users and search engines could get the idea what the page is about with just a short glimpse.
You should use a URL like http://www.practicalseo.org/blog/optimizing-your-website/. From this URL you can see exactly what the page is about. If you look at Amazon or plenty of other sites you can see URL’s like http://www.amazon.com/dp/1449529577/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277344882&sr=8-1, which is a clear example of a bad URL.
If you have a good URL you can use the URL itself as an anchor keyword or keyword phrase, which makes your SEO task much easier. As far as title tags go you should always use a keyword in them while trying to keep them informative but not long and without sales language.
When doing your keyword research and planning on using those keywords on important or any other pages, you should keep in mind to avoid the following things as they prevent search engines to index your page. Avoid embedding text into flash applications or Macromedia flash files. That also goes for image files likes png, jpg, gif etc. Never make a page behind a submit form, like login page an important page. Search engines cannot crawl those pages. The only thing that pages search engines will crawl on those pages are title tags and meta tags and description. So if you have to use such pages be sure to make all of the mentioned things relevant and to the point as it will make it much easier for search engines to rank your page well.
Here are the basic SEO rules you need to follow about optimizing text on a webpage:
- Quality of the text. Search engines have very smart algorithms that prefer well written text made for real users and not keyword stuffed text that has no sense. So the higher the quality of the text the better it is for you and search engines will look favorably on your website.
- Repeat the main keyword. Although keyword density is not important as it once used to be, keeping the main keyword or keywords repeating a few times throughout the text helps the search engines figure out easily what your page is about.
- Keep your text in one place. A good designer and programmer will always use CSS layouts over table layouts, like people used to a few years back. Keeping your text together is very important because search engines might get confused if your text is scattered over a few tables and they might see it as several different texts. That certainly won’t help your rankings or the search engines view on the quality of your content.
The next thing you have to do, I say have to, not need to because this is a must, is to make an easy architecture of your site. Every single of your pages should have a navigation menu available. But keep in mind that if you have a larger site with over 100 pages it would be wiser to divide the links. Put on your homepage links to categories and from categories links to other submenu pages. Never go more than 2 links deep, 3 links deep for very big sites. That will ensure that all of your pages are indexed by search engines and that will make your site a lot easier for users.
The last thing to keep in mind is duplicate content on your website. Although you didn’t steal the content from another site, duplicate content will have a negative impact on your website. The reason is simple; if you have links pointing to two different pages with same content then you will be dividing the worth of the page from where the links are coming from. Either remove those pages or use a 301 redirect and your problem will be solved.
We are getting near advance SEO and money making techniques, but we are not quite there yet. The next post is very important and you shouldn’t skip it, so look for How to Create a Website Worthy of Traffic on Practical SEO.
About The Author
Zarko Zivkovic is the founder and CEO of Practical SEO and also a passionate blogger. All of his free time he dedicates to his Practical SEO blog and giving free advice as well as participating in the blogging community.
Connect with me on Facebook | Twitter | Google + | LinkedIn
- List of 30 Do Follow Websites to Submit Your Articles
- Keyword Rich Anchored Links Everywhere Or Building Authority With More Natural Looking Links
- Link Building Campaign, How to Prepare and Where to Start
- Panda and Penguin, Both Are here .. Tell me How I am Going To Market my Website
- Link Building Using Social Media – Social Media Influence Rankings