The final part of our SEO survey included some basic questions to get into the mind of the SEO’s that took the survey. The questions were intended to see what were the most used tools for SEO purposes, which social networks were mostly used for SEO (this was prior to Google+) and what type of content are these people most likely to link to.
Which of the following SEO tools you use the most?
This was more or less expected. Webmaster tools are the most used tool for SEO purposes, and not only the most used, but they constitute over 50%. Don’t let it confuse you, this is not what people use, but what they use the most, so my guess is that 90% of all webmaster use webmaster tools and analytics, and the other 10% should start using them too.
But we have SEOmoz tools at number 2 with 22%, which is amazing; number 3 is taken by “something else”. That sounds spooky, but there are tons of tools out there and it is no wonder that a solid number of people just tend to use something they find useful. Raven tools and Majestic SEO are not used that much, which is a real shame as they have some great tools.
Which social networks you use the most for your SEO efforts?
We already said that this survey was done prior to Google+, so we weren’t able to include them in the results, but we will update this as soon as possible. In this case it falls down to Twitter and Facebook, we can see that people tend to use Twitter more, as it gets shared easier. Facebook is great for business, but it requires more time and money invested to see results from it. People on facebook share too much private information to feel comfortable with all the promotions going, so that puts us in a bit of a tight spot from time to time.
LinkedIn is used quite a lot, which is great for business and brands, I was surprised by this percentage. On the other hand, Digg and Delicious are slowly fading away with each passing year, no surprise there. I guess in a month or two when Google+ becomes available to everyone we will see three sites going for the first spot.
Do you link out and if the answer is yes, what type of content you usually link to?
Nothing new here as well, a regular guy will link to anything on the web he likes or finds useful, or in other words, whatever has quality. So preferred type of content that some people like to brag about, it doesn’t exist, it can be an article, a video, an infographic or a tool, all that matters is that a user likes it and finds it somewhat useful.
As you can see people are most likely to link to resources and how to’s than they are to link to videos and other media. This just goes to show that internet is an informational highway and we are all seeking knowledge, so offer something useful, something interesting, the form, well, choose the one that is most sought after in your specific market, but mix it up. Offering both a slide and a video is not a bad idea, and creating a graph to show off your data can also go a long way. There are so many ways to present one thing, why not use them?
About The Author
Zarko Zivkovic is the founder and CEO of Practical SEO and also a passionate blogger. All of his free time he dedicates to his Practical SEO blog and giving free advice as well as participating in the blogging community.
Connect with me on Facebook | Twitter | Google + | LinkedIn
- Keyword Rich Anchored Links Everywhere Or Building Authority With More Natural Looking Links
- List of 30 Do Follow Websites to Submit Your Articles
- Link Building Campaign, How to Prepare and Where to Start
- Panda and Penguin, Both Are here .. Tell me How I am Going To Market my Website
- Basic Article Marketing Part 1 – Introduction to Article Marketing